Michael's Reviews > Beat the Reaper

Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell

May 03, 12

bookshelves: thriller, mystery, crime, humour, book-club-others, organized-crime, assassins, neo-noir, 2000s
Recommended to Michael by: Carmel
Read from May 01 to 02, 2012

I was recommended this book last year, and while it looks interesting, I kept putting this book off. I’m not sure why I did, as this book was so much fun to read. Think mob book (in the style of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Snatch) meets Scrubs but with a much darker sense of humour. Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell tells the story of Peter Brown, an intern for Manhattan’s worst hospital. Dr. Brown is in the Federal Witness Protection Program having previously been a mob hitman named Pietro Brwna. I know, the feds lacked imagination and yet the mob failed to find him until one of them ends up being a patient of Dr. Peter Brown.

Full reveiw can be found on my blog;

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beat the Reaper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim So what lost it the final star?

Michael I just couldn't bring myself to giving it 5 stars (4.5 stars it is) While I loved the style and writing, I think it was missing something to push it to a 5.

Tfitoby Hey at least they're not considering Tom Cruise to ruin this as he almost certainly will ruin Jack Reacher.

Michael Yeah I know, what the hell is with that

Tfitoby It's one of my favourite things to mock with my customers at the moment, nobody thinks it's a good idea. Except Tom and his bank balance/ego.

Michael Who would you pick? I was thinking Jeremy Renner

Tfitoby Jason Statham. We were watching the pretty poor adaptation of Ken Bruen's Blitz which he was in and instantly we both said "that's who should play Jack Reacher." Ladies man, man's man etc.

Although somebody told me that Reacher is black the other day. How much I may have missed in the Lee Child stories if that's true, I don't know.

Tfitoby jeremy renner would be good as peter brown. i dont know if thats what you initially meant?

Michael I see Renner as Reacher