Trudi's Reviews > War of the Sons

War of the Sons by Rebecca Dessertine

Jun 17, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, angels-and-demons, time-travel, the-big-letdown, my-boys, series, urban-fantasy
Read from June 14 to 17, 2011

2.5 Stars. Okay let me get this out of the way first -- I'm a huge fan of this show which -- over the course of six seasons and counting -- has consistently offered so much more than cheap, dime-store, cotton-candy thrills. The writing is truly exceptional, the story arc original and perfectly paced, the scares are truly scary, and the humor side-splitting. Ghosts, monsters, demons, archangels, Lucifer, the Apocalypse – this show has everything! What more can you ask for from network TV?

And then there's Dean Winchester (be still my heart), the guy that caring writers have taken the time to carve into an iconic yet flawed character definitely worth 10,000 watts of fangirl adoration. Because this Winchester brother is much more than a pretty boy with a voracious appetite for sex, pie and mullet rock; he is a man of integrity and devotion, fierce loyalty and a golden heart. He might not always say the right thing, but when the chips are down, he will always do the right thing -- or die trying. I have become addicted to his acerbic, smart-alecky, movie referencing ways, his uncomplicated, deeply appreciative approach to food, sex and music and his fierce loyalty to his brother that guides every decision he ever makes.

I usually turn to these pulpy series novels when the show has wrapped up for another season, and there's that long stretch of Winchester-less summer before me until September. This latest installment - War of the Sons - is okay for a quick fun read. But just okay. Building on Season 5 canon, the story is rich in inside jokes and benefits from being able to draw upon the Apocalypse story arc. The time-travel twist is interesting, although I thought that so much more could have been done with the brothers in 1950s New York. I didn't like the love interest for Dean in this one either; it just felt forced and contrived. Some of the action sequences went on a little too long as well, and I found myself skimming more than reading several times.

Overall, these knock-off books used to promote the series are just that -- cheap knock-offs. They certainly could never be used to attract new fans, that's for sure. They are a poor substitute for the real thing.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War of the Sons.

06/14/2011 page 150
47.0% "I can't help myself ... the boys and their hijinks are such a guilty pleasure :)"