Lynne's Reviews > The Finding

F 50x66
Jun 14, 2011

liked it
Read in June, 2011

This is kind of more a review of the series. There are dozens of reviews of this book that explain the plot, so I'm not going to go into the actual plot of the book, either.

I read all three of these books because they were free on B&N for the Nook. I'm a sucker for free, and once I started I really did want to know how it ended. So I read all three, even though I really really didn't like the second book.

The conclusion I've come to is that Nicky Charles desperately needs an editor--not a copy editor--though that wouldn't hurt either. (I do understand that she uses Canadian spelling. She still needs a copy editor. Breath is a noun. Breathe is a verb.) No, she needs someone who will tell her, "Hey, you know, this section here? The book would be better if you just cut that whole thing out." Or who would say, "Hey, you know these 15 sentences? You can say the same thing in 5 and be more clear." Or who would say to her, "Hey you know how you're trying to keep us all in suspense about this thing? Well we can all smell it coming, so maybe you ought to just say it outright because the readers can know something that the characters don't necessarily know, and it's annoying to your readers when they have figured it out and you keep assuming that they haven't."

I think that the plot of the three books is great. I was glad to see that much of the rape culture and even some of the misogyny of the previous book was gone from this one (though not completely). But I also know that there was too much to this book. For instance, Nicky Charles introduces characters in the last chapters of the book that have nothing to do with the rest of the novel. There was no need for a teaser for books to come. People who like her books will pick up the next one even they don't have any information on a main character.

So there it is. Plot good. Grammar & usage bad. Needs an editor.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Finding.

05/24 marked as: read