Lisa O.'s Reviews > Web of Lies

Recommended to Lisa O. by: Maja
Read from June 15 to August 02, 2011 — I own a copy

3.5 stars.

This is not a review.
This is my rant directed towards one of the least likable love interests in the history of Urban Fantasy: Mr. Donovan Caine.
Or donovancaine, which has a certain assonance to a potent anesthetizer, and is truly appropriate, because that's exactly what he does to me. One of the most hypocritical, double-faced, backboneless men ever to have roamed the pages of a UF novel. And I loathe those kind of men - and who wouldn't?
Not only his ethics are just figments of his imagination and he takes advantage of Gin anytime that the chance arises, but what is most and fastidiously irksome is that he always and systematically gets post-coitum second thoughts - and let's face it, the coitus wasn't even that hot to begin with.
I really, really don't understand what Gin sees in him. She must be pretty desperate in her lonesome wolf-style assassin life. So I am proud to announce that, after his final backlessbone decision, that is to run from his issues and ignore them instead of come to terms with the not so virtuous bastard that he is, donovancaine is finally out of the picture. He left, not to see Gin ever again and face his true self. And good riddance.

Enter Owen Grayson, who I already like infinitely more than donovancaine. At least he's got a sense of humor.

Basically this second installment in the series is in line with the first one and I enjoyed it quite a bit. As readers of Spider's Bite should already know, Estep's problems are really minor and have to do with:
1- the fact that nobody has yet given her a Thesaurus for Christmas - the world sloppy repeated countless times in this book... I mean, WHY?
2- the fact that she perpetuates the belief that chicory coffee actually contains caffeine, which might be the problem with the previous point, that is Estep falling asleep on her manuscript without realizing it, and then forgetting she has used the word sloppy or the phrase "grey on gold" - and now the new entry "grey on violet" - too many a times.

Aside from that, the plot is really fast-paced and interesting and Gin is really a great character, probably without a doubt the main reason why I am going to keep on reading this series.

Maja says it gets better, and I trust her judgement.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Web of Lies.

06/15/2011 page 110
06/23/2011 page 110
28.0% "somebody should tell Estep that there is NO caffeine in chicory coffee... grrr...."
06/23/2011 page 180
45.0% "Do people really say po-po in the US? It's driving me crazy" 5 comments
06/23/2011 page 202
51.0% "OK, off to bed now. I'm going to practice sliding silverstone knives up my sleeves while brushing teeth."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Books 3 and 4 get an extra star just because of Owen Grayson. :D

Lisa O. That's actually what is spurring me on to read the next. I HATED Donovancaine.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Ow, i hated that asshole guy as well. But Owen is a far better love interest and everything gets more interesting after that second book. I promise, you will like them far more.

But Sophia is still my favorite. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Strictly speaking, Owen makes it better.

As for donovancaine, I created my 'what does she see in him' shelf for that idiot.

Lisa O. How appropriate.
RYU is better than him. Way better.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) O_O!!!!! And that's sayin' something! But here's something that should make you feel better: donovancaine doesn't come back. Not for a second in the next two books. He is mentioned a few times in book 3, but just for comparison - to show how perfect Owen is. :D

Lisa O. Good to know! I already got Venom waiting for me.
donovancaine is probably sitting in his office, eating cucumber sandwiches and thinking what a good guy he is.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) *snorts* Congratulating himself and wondering why someone isn't giving him a freaking medal.

message 9: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe I totally agree with your review! :) Caine was ultra annoying and cruel. I also agree with your point about the Thesaurus. Was anyone else annoyed about how she described death? ...got dead, get dead and gotten dead over and over again.

Lisa O. Well, I think many of us agree on the repetition thing, we were all annoyed by eyes and coffee and eyes and coffee and eyes and coffee...
My co-blogger is reading an ARC of the latest one, I'm waiting to know how it is.

Wyrdness I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hates Donovan. Though I was kind of hoping more for the stick being removed from his arse and him slowly turning in to someone like Owen, I think on the whole this is a better outcome and far more believable.