Maria's Reviews > The Sky Is Everywhere

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Jul 08, 2015

bookshelves: ya, books-i-own, contemporary, recommended, 2011-favorites
Read on August 13, 2011

I highly recommend The Sky is Everywhere.

*****
I always imagined music trapped inside my clarinet, not trapped inside of me. But what if music is what escapes when a heart breaks?

ENCHANTING.

The Sky is Everywhere swept me off my feet! My first impression is that this book will be depressing, but it is so, so far from that. It is about grief, yes, but it is also about being strong for your family, falling in love at the wrong time, and moving on once the mourning became a tad bit bearable.

Lennie is sad, confused, alienated, and guilty all rolled up into one – because of her sister’s Bailey’s death. This tragedy seemed to trigger her sex button because she can’t seem to get enough of not just one, but two guys! Her journey to recovery is detailed and astounding, funny at times but soulful at most, constricting to the heart yet gives freedom at the end. Lennie’s story is beautifully written, my heart went instantly (and constantly) to her every step of her grieving process.

Toby is the male version of Lennie – he cannot move on after Bailey’s death. Joe is the epitome of sunshine – persistent wide grin, musical genius, and fun to be with. I normally hate love triangles where the girl can’t decide which one to choose, but with Lennie-Toby-Joe, Lennie’s confusion is understandable. Like the tagline of the book, Toby makes her remember, Joe makes her forget. I loved how the triangle worked out! I was rooting for this guy (sorry, no spoilers!), but initial reactions of Lennie towards him made me think twice. Still I stick to him, and man I was glad Lennie ended up with him!

The Sky is Everywhere is a very magnetic read – I read and finished it overnight. The little snippets of Lennie’s relationship with Bailey at the start and end of every chapter is such a bonus. Grams (I love her relationship with Lennie), Uncle Big (funny bloke, he’s often stoned!), and Sarah (she’s demented in a cool sort-of way) are such diverse characters that they compliment Lennie’s.

How do you deal when you lose a loved one? Do you grieve by yourself, make out with every guy/girl you see, and feel guilty because you were left behind to live without him/her? I say you read Lennie’s story. Jandy Nelson perfectly captured and written the way to live past the grieving and to love past the losing.
That’s a misconception, Lennie. The sky is everywhere, it begins at your feet.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sky Is Everywhere.

Quotes Maria Liked

Jandy Nelson
“Oh, God,’ he whispers, reaching his hand behind my neck and bringing my lips to his. ‘Let’s let the whole fucking world explode this time.’
And we do.”