Bonnie's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Mar 23, 13

bookshelves: 2011-books, young-adult, apocalypse-dystopia
Read in February, 2013

I liked the first volume of this series - I have a love/hate relationship with dystopian fiction, but I thought that Matched was a pretty decent addition to this genre.

But this volume makes me consider the series' worthiness. Cassia spends like 98% of the book pining over Ky. GUESS WHAT CASSIA? KY BARELY THINKS ABOUT YOU AT ALL. Later on, as the reunion drew nearer, Ky spent more time thinking about his Great Love for Cassia. But the first part of the book he is more stuck on hating the Society/trying to escape the weirdass prison camp he's stuck in - as he should be.

Also everyone spends WAY TOO MUCH TIME on poetry. You two crazy kids are sensitive and deep. We get it. Please stop with the poetry.

Ky and Cassia eventually break free from their respective imprisoned conditions (Cassia was in a labor camp following the events of the first book) and go on their own very special dystopian road trips with some same-sex travel companions. Eventually they reunite, and yep, still doesn't get interesting.

I want more world building. I want some character development (constantly talking about your love interest is not character development). I want more Xander (stop jerking him around Cassia! One, he's too awesome. Two, he was once your very good friend).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

02/10/2013 "Ummm, the Society can prevent rainbows from occurring? What? Otherwise, how had Kai never seen a rainbow before?" 2 comments