John Razor's Reviews > Echoes from the Infantry

M 50x66
Jun 14, 2011

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read in June, 2011

Frank Nappi author of the book Echoes from the Infantry did a nice job in my opinion in the construction of this novel. Starting of in James McCleary shoes of what its like in war, having to go through the difficulties of war. But this was not just a normal war story as I have read a few with it being the topic of my classes right now. This one was unique in he the way that the book followed one of James sons, John. When his father came back he was suffering from what we call it now PTSD. The book has many flash forwards or flash backs though out it, which normally I hate in a book they do nothing for me, or they make me just confused. This book though actually had nice transitions and did not confuse me very often. John goes back to his home he was raised in after his mother dies, and he is I guess cleaning when he finds letters his father wrote to a girlfriend of his during the war. The girlfriend turns out to be his mother. Through these letters he learns a lot more about his father. He learns why he had acted the way he did. This book I would recommend to a large variety of people, it’s a nice book showing other causes or outcomes that war has. Its not just death or resources it doesn’t just end, but it continues for years after there over. I enjoyed seeing this different side that a lot of books I have read tend to leave out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echoes from the Infantry.