Dlmoore83 Moore's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Jun 14, 11

Read in June, 2011

"My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off." (p. 17 of 421, ebook). and "...her head just lolls from side to side. I like that about her, that she doesn't lurch or groan." (p. 27 of 421, ebook). Are examples of the wit and humor within this zombie transformation memoir.

Another zombie book? Yes. Beautifully written? Absolutely. Humorous and touching with eloquent statements about our world? Sure.

The memoirs of "M" a zombie of a different breed than the rest drew me in, hooked me, and kept me turning the pages as he examined who and what he was. Lacking scenes of blood and gore, the writing adequately portrayed a post-apocalyptic world in futile recovery mode. The weaving of lives, memories and Gray's Anatomy, are intricately and smoothly done throughout the novel.

The story depicts what happens when a zombie has a heart - yet it isn't schmaltzy or cheesy. I'd classify it with books such as "The Reapers are the Angels" -- a sci-fi apocalyptic novel with beauty and wisdom and tinges of wit and humor. "In my mind I am eloquent; I can climb intricate scaffolds of words to reach the highest cathedral ceilings and paint my thoughts. But when I open my mouth, it all collapses." (p. 30 of 421, ebook) While this captures "R's" feelings, I suspect it aptly describes the feelings of many writers and/or readers. I know it resonates with me. Is that scary - to have feelings in common with a zombie? No, not if that zombie is "R" from "Warm Bodies."

I hope Marion writes more - I for one will be watching for him on the bestseller list.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.