yoli's Reviews > Jane Eyre (Norton Critical Edition)

Jane Eyre (Norton Critical Edition) by Charlotte Brontë

F_50x66
Mar 23, 08

bookshelves: school, audiobook
Read in March, 2008

Am also listening to chapters via LibriVox (http://librivox.org/jane-eyre-by-char...) and am enjoying it a lot more than I recall from the 8th grade attempt. I think that means I've matured!

3/23 I finished this a couple days ago but really, I liked it. I feel so dirty saying that because when I first tried this book in the 8th grade I hated it with a fiery passion. Or I hated the mandatory testing that was going on simultaneously (the GEPAs), either way the memory was tainted. Given that my best memories, and my old book cover, had a very Gothic novel darkened hallway, shadowy woman in drapery holding a candle on the cover feel to it, it probably comes as no surprise that part of the reason I liked it so much was because it WASN'T as Gothic as a remembered it being!

Sure the characters and plots were a little...well, period, but there WERE warm-fuzzies and the ending was no where near as bad as I'd thought in my head (or maybe I forgot what the typical Gothic ending was supposed to have been, me not reading much period work except for school). I was actually quite fulfilled and happy when it ended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre (Norton Critical Edition).