Wendy Darling's Reviews > Balthazar

Balthazar by Claudia Gray

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, pn-vampires, 2012-publication, read-2012, 2012-favorites
Read from February 12 to 17, 2012

Nothing wrong with a hot vampire. :D Review to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Balthazar.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Wow, biblical title on a vampire book...intriguing!

Jammie Is it set like after the Evernight series? When I read about it, it kind of sounded like it was going to be set in his past.

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) Jammie: I think you need to read the first 4 books before you read this one, because it's set after the events in that series, but with flashbacks into Balthazar's past.

Wendy Darling I agree with Jennifer, Jammie--this is billed as a standalone novel, but they refer to pretty significant things from the first 4 books. The new book is definitely set after the other ones.

I adore Balthazar, Cillian. I liked this series up until the last book, although I know many people weren't fans, hah.

And yes, Katie. His name is great, but his character is really intriguing. *fans self*

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) I actually didn't care either way for Balthazar in the Evernight series, but after I read this book, I absolutely fell in love with him!

Wendy Darling Oh my. That means I'm in trouble then, Jen! :D

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) Yes, indeed!!! Can't wait for you to read it. :-)

Jammie I have read the Evernight series :) I love them. Thanks though. I was confused about when it was set. It sounds awsome.

Wendy Darling Oh good, then you're all ready for this then! I think there might've been some confusion because there are a lot of flashbacks to Balthazar's past, but the bulk of the story takes place shortly after the events of the last Evernight book. :)

I'm about 150 pages in, it's very good so far.

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) You'll have it done in no time! I finished it up in a day and then was sad there was no more.

message 11: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Gray I wasn't into the first book of the series,so I never finished the rest....could I just jump in here?? And still get the full crush-worthy effect? I don't want to half-ass my hero angst.

message 12: by mrsj (new) - added it

mrsj Oooh!!!! Balthazar...

message 13: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN Nothing wrong with a hot vampire at all Wendy!:)

message 14: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki I am so jealous of you right now Wendy :D I love Balthazar, cant wait to read this!

message 15: by BiblioJen (new)

BiblioJen Well, yes! :-) I think hot vampires are ALWAYS welcome! LOL I haven't read any of Claudia Gray's books ... sounds like they may be worth a shot.

message 16: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Tint is this a stand alone or will there be more to come?

Wendy Darling Cecelia, if you didn't like the first book, I guess you could technically read this if you don't intend to read the others. Just be aware that there are major spoilers for things that happen in the first four books.

III know Mrs. J, Miss Vain, Nikki! Can't wait for you ladies to read it!

I agree with that, BiblioJen. :) I liked the Evernight series (well, at least the first 3 books), although I know a lot of people had problems with a pretty big twist in the first one. Maybe give it a shot at the library sometime!

It's supposed to be a standalone, Sue, although the door is open story-wise for more another book, in my opinion.

message 18: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN I know, now that you loved it, I'm excited to read it!;)

I should be reading it sometime in the next week or so! Thanks

message 19: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 Hmmm, I'm conflicted. The last book was a head-fuck, not sure if I want to risk that again. But here you are four-starring this book and now... don't know what to do. I look forward to your review, Wendy. =)

Wendy Darling Well, if you guys didn't enjoy the series, you don't have to read this one, you know? I liked some things about Balthazar better than the rest of the Evernight books, but I liked some things about Evernight better, so...it just kind of depends on your taste in PNR.

This one is definitely better than the last book, though, IMO. I gave the first three books between 3 and 4 stars, and rated the last one a 2, I think. Will try to write this review soon, Experiment!

Wendy Darling As I was telling Cecelia, if you're not going to read the others, it's okay for you to read this one if you just want more Balthazar. Maybe check it out from the store--I think you'd like this for the most part, Cill.

♥Rachel♥ I can't wait for this one Wendy. I loved Balthazar in the Evernight series. I liked all but the last book too. I can't stand the way things turned out and I ended up skimming through much of the book.

Glad to see you liked this, I'll look out for your review. :)

Wendy Darling Oh good, I'm glad we agree on the rest of the series! I'm quite sure you'll enjoy this, Rachel. :)

message 24: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Cook I was so mad at how the last book ended. I can't wait to read this. :))

Wendy Darling Hah hah, I was pretty mad too, Crystal. I think you'll like this one much better. :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I really would like to see this moved up on your 'review to come' list. I dont think thats too much to ask.

Wendy Darling Heh. Soon, I promise! I am going to be doing a lot of catch-up over the next couple of weeks, and this one's definitely on that list. But you can safely add this to your list, Kate. Did you finish all four Evernight books?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

No, only 3. I read the spoilers for book four. And I still feel glad that I did. I could tell I didnt like the direction it was going at the end of the 3rd book, and my suspicions were confirmed. It would really disappoint me.

message 29: by Wendy Darling (last edited Feb 28, 2012 12:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Darling Good for you. I really disliked book four, and this one brings you up to date on what happens anyway. I'm curious to see what will happen next.

♥Rachel♥ Oh glad to hear that Wendy. It's been a while and like I said I only skimmed through the last one. The whole plot irritated me so much. (view spoiler)

Wendy Darling Ugh, I know Rachel. (view spoiler)

Rachel I loved the first three books and was disappointed and a bit bored of afterlife. Hourglass was amazing so i was surprised

Wendy Darling Exactly, Rachel! I don't know why there was such a disconnect with the fourth book. But I think you'll like this one better, I certainly did.

Rachel i'm glad. i'm excited to read it because balthazar was one of my favorite characters.

Wendy Darling Join the club, hah. ;) I will say it took me awhile to remember who "Skye" was, who is the other main character, but the beginning chapters catch you up very quickly.

Rachel skye was the new human character that was introduced in afterlife, right?

Rachel thanks. :)

message 39: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I haven't read the Evernight series. Do you think I could read this one and not feel lost?

Wendy Darling Yeah, you could read this independently of Evernight if you wanted to, Jen.

message 41: by _yay_ (new) - added it

_yay_ Hey Wendy! Can one read it as a stand-alone or should I read the other books first?

Wendy Darling You *could* read this alone. But I don't see why you'd want to! I liked the series, although a lot of people did not.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

i just need to know (view spoiler) confused....

Wendy Darling Kate, in the third book, (view spoiler)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

i remembered that from the 3rd book but...(view spoiler)
But anyways, I gather from your answer that it isnt really relevant to this book. so i will just accept your answer and move on.

Wendy Darling They are together in this book, although (view spoiler).

But no, she's barely in Balthazar so it doesn't really come into play, although she does show up a couple of times.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

oh rightrightright i had forgotten about the significant items thing...