Davin's Reviews > Foucault's Pendulum

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

Mar 06, 07

Recommended for: conspiracy buffs, burned out philosophy majors
Read in July, 1997

For a long time this was my stock answer to "What is your favorite book?"

I read it book twice, once in high school and then again the summer after I finished college. As a high schooler I was most into the wealth of knowledge Eco drops about secret societies and historical conspiracies. Well, that and the fact that I was reading a "serious" book. (I was a little pretentious then). After college the book became an interesting portrait of the will to knowledge/power (although according to wikipedia Eco denies it, it seems like too much of a coincidence that there is another famous Foucault besides the pendulum guy) and this particularly hit home after having spent most of my undergraduate years studying philosophy and its hangups on knowledge and certainty. Foucalt's Pendulum was emblematic of who I was and what I had become. And it had lots of information about secret societies and historical conspiracies, which is still pretty cool.

I haven't read it in 10 years and I found diminishing returns with Eco's next 2 books, so I am not sure I can still call it my favorite book, if I have one. It's still up there, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foucault's Pendulum.