Leah Steele's Reviews > Night Star

Night Star by Alyson Noel

Jun 14, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: worst-audiobook-narrators, should-die-a-painful-death, heroine-tstl
Read in June, 2011

Let's play a drinking game...
Every time you see the words "tingle and heat," take a swig. I guarantee you'll be plastered by the time you finish the book in one sitting. We get it, your boyfriend makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Move the hell on.

If you're not wasted by this point, go ahead and throw in another shot for every cheesy mention of a red tulip. If you're not three sheets by now, you have a heartier constitution than I.

I don't want to waste too much of my precious free time writing more about this book--I've wasted enough already reading it. The concept isn't terrible and in the hands of a better writer, it might not have been all that bad. But Noel spends way too much time mired down in how dreamy everyone is and the exact brands of cars and clothing represented that frankly I'm insulted on the behalf of teens everywhere at her insinuation that they're all vapid brand whores. But what really kills her writing style for me in the repetition. She seems to feel compelled to say everything at least three ways in just the course of one sentence. I don't know if she's attempting dramatic gravity or just trying to drive the point home, but she ends up beating it into the ground and spitting on it for good measure. Instances of this are far too frequent and close together to be effective--just annoying.

Add to the fact that basically the main conflict of the entire story centers around the main characters' failed, desperate attempts to get laid... It's just bad

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Star.

02/23/2016 marked as: read

Laurence Brilliant! Great review, my thoughts exactly!

Amanda How about a shot every time a characters squints or presses their lips together? I haven't read this one yet, but I know it happened every other page in Dark Flame.

message 3: by Leah (new) - rated it 1 star

Leah Steele You're right, Amanda. There are so many that would work. Noel just keeps using the same language and devices over and over and over and... It gets pretty nauseating by the end.

Kolleen Book Obsessions Best review ever LOL "vapid brand whores" I love it!

message 5: by camille (new) - added it

camille this review spoke my mind! she is just to repetitive for me >.<

Rachel This cracks me up! I was literally just thinking about how she tends to use the same words repeatedly "cute and sexy". Seriously get a thesaurus.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Drury Or a shot every time someone 'swallows hard'