Lisa P.'s Reviews > Black Night

5292049
Jul 15, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from June 14 to July 10, 2011

ARC Review: Spoiler Free!

Christina Henry’s up-coming book, Black Night is like Die Hard on estrogen! The book opens with action, and is full of adventure until the last page is turned. The heroine, Madeline Black gets to go “Yippie-Ki-Yay” all over the bad guys.

Meet the Cast of Characters:
Madeline is a determined protagonist who will not allow the social norms of the otherworld dictate her conscious. Beezle is her “mother-hen” gargoyle companion. JB is her irritating boss, but more than boss. Gabriel is her protector that makes her heart go pitter-patter. Lucifer is her granddad. Nathaniel is her not-so-wanted fiancée. Between demons, fairies, werewolves and other supernatural enemies on the prowl for Maddie,
the streets of Chicago are not safe for non-humans

An Improvement on Black Wings!
In this, Christina’s second book of the Black Wings series, she greatly improves on her use of description--which was less than I liked in the first book—with some well placed imagery and use of iconic culture. I was pleased to be able to imagine Maddie’s feet sinking into the sand as she ran, Beezle wrapped up tightly against the cold, the acrid smell of ozone among other sensory details that brought the book to life for me. At one point she compares her merry band of heroes to Dorothy and her group on the way to Oz. The images she invoked were very vivid for the reader. Through her use of witty dialogue, I could laugh my way through the action, gain a deeper perspective on the characters and connect with them on a more intimate level. Because of this, the characters seemed more real to me in this novel, as compared to her first novel.

Christina’s strengths lie in her dialogue and in her ability to balance the grim side of Maddie’s world with the precious parts. Just when I thought, “Now what!” along comes a tender moment that left me aching for the character. This balance kept me going and made the book a fast read for me.

I am looking forward to reading the third in Christina’s Black Night Series, Black Howl!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Night.