Andrea's Reviews > That Old Cape Magic

That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo

Jun 14, 2011

it was ok
Read in June, 2011

I find Richard Russo's greatest strength to be the humanity he gives to his working-class, somewhat crude, and deeply flawed characters in the blue-collar New England and upstate New York towns he generally chronicles.

That said, this is a book centered on the highly cerebral problems of a middle-aged, middle-class academic going through a life crisis. So...yeah, not so much.

Russo's writing ability still shines through, but the characters just don't have that sympathetic spark that binds the reader to the character despite the character's (usually major) issues. Griffin, the main character, spends so much time pitying himself that there's no room for anyone else to feel sorry for him, and so I spent the entire novel feeling vaguely annoyed with him and flat out not liking many of the other characters.

Then there's my general lack of patience for that entire genre: the New England academic/writer experiencing a midlife crisis. It's awfully self-indulgent, and it's been done approximately four billion times before.

In sum, if you're looking for a Richard Russo book to read, please don't start off with this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Old Cape Magic.

06/29/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Ron (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ron Same here. I had great difficulty caring.