CB's Reviews > The Read-Aloud Handbook

The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease

Jul 14, 11

bookshelves: childrens, library-school
Read from June 14 to July 14, 2011

Now, this one I liked, probably because I agree with so much of what the author says. For both personal and professional reasons, I wish I had read it sooner. As a teacher, I am right on board with his criticisms of No Child Left Behind and the general approach to teaching reading in this country. We've taken all the fun out of reading, when that is exactly what is needed to create a nation of readers. Last time I checked J.K. Rowling didn't publish a whole bunch of companion tests with her novels, and yet, the only person who's sold more books than her is God.

This book also has a lot to say to parents and the vital role they play in a child's reading development. If we, as a society, put more pressure on parents to read to their kids (at all ages), I think the dividends would be tremendous. Reading is so simple and has been around for so long, I think people take for granted its inherent power. It can better a mind, a relationship, indeed, a whole world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Read-Aloud Handbook.

06/15/2011 page 52