Katie's Reviews > The Year of the Flood

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

Jun 21, 2011

it was ok

Surprisingly, this sequel/parallel to Oryx & Crake wasn't very good. I expected more from a great writer like Atwood. First reason: a poorly executed and very disjointed structure that jumps between preacher speeches, poetry, and two different viewpoints. Second reason: too many coincidences. One of the main characters just *happens* to know the main character from Oryx & Crake. The first four people she encounters after the "flood" just *happen* to be her childhood buddies. Etc. Lather, rinse, repeat. Third reason: the romantic angle that's supposed to swell to a touching climax at the end is, well, less than convincing.

I don't feel that this novel added anything to the story of Oryx & Crake, and it doesn't really do much on its own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Flood.

message 1: by Thea (new)

Thea Atkinson funny, I was just noticing someone say this on twitter too. Makes me wonder. I might sample and see what I think. thanks

McKenzie Which romantic angle are you referring to, Ren seeing Jimmy again, or Toby seeing Zeb again? I thought the latter was touching, although predictable, because Toby didn't spend all of her narrative obsessing over Zeb.