Judy's Reviews > Still Life With Chickens: Starting Over in a House by the Sea

Jun 17, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-reads, bio-memoir
Read from June 14 to 17, 2011

This memoir is about Catherine Goldhammer's journey from newly divorced, broke,big house owner, parent of a pre-teen to scaled-down home buyer of a fixer-upper and parent to a finicky teenager.

What I liked:
*I found it delightful and read it in a couple of sittings. It has small pages and short chapters, so this is not difficult.
* I was able to relate well to her. I liked her individuality, honesty and persistence.
* Her willingness to get in and get her hands dirty while building the chicken run, etc. The example she set for her daughter in that regard impressed me.
* People who are comfortable in their own skin intrigue me, and her learning to not worry about living up to the standards of her previous hoity-toity town impressed me.

Why I didn't give it 5 stars:
* The first couple of times she referred to the hoity-toity town as Hearts-Are-Cold, I chuckled. By the end of the book she was still calling it that and I was groaning.
* Although her story is unique and her writing good, there isn't anything that makes it against-all-odds or extraordinary such as climbing Mount Everest during blizzard conditions or feeding a village in Africa.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read about women who face difficulty and win.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Life With Chickens.