Beth's Reviews > The Eyre Affair

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Jun 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, borrowed, june-2011
Read from June 14 to 19, 2011

Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

Despite the high rating I gave it, I can't quite make out what I think of The Eyre Affair. I will say this: if you liked Special Topics in Calamity Physics, you will like this. Although it is not as long-winded and pretentious as Special Topics (and not quite as mind-wranglingly clever), it has the same sense of well-read articulation, same obscure references and the same intellectual characters that waver between irritating and interesting.

It is very clever, but perhaps a little *too* clever. It wavers onto the cutesy, self-indulgent side of clever one too many times to truly blow my mind. The bizarre narrative voice also irritated me too. Although I have nothing against mixing POVs, Fforde did the big stylistic no-no (or so you should believe if you read those CAST-IRON WRITING RULEZ books) of switching POVs abruptly between paragraphs. We'll start off in Thursday's first-person voice, and then we will suddenly switch to third-person in the middle of the paragraph with no warning. Very odd.

There are some things that I didn't like about TEA that say more about me than the book itself. One of my favourite tropes is the complex or multilayered villian. Acheron Hades was, like his name, obvious, two-dimensional and not quite as clever as the writer seemed to think he was. The Eyre Affair is very cinematic, but not necessarily in a good way. Thursday does a lot of things that I'm sure would come across as badass and awesomesauce if this was on TV but, as a book (especially as the narrator), she seemed precious and slightly arrogant.

(*dramatic drumroll* TO BE CONTINUED.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eyre Affair.