Elle's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: 2011-read, baddass-leading-ladies, dystopia-and-sci-fi, first-of-series, good-covers, made-me-think, made-of-awesome, elles-reviews, 2012-read
Read in June, 2011

There comes a time in every average, misunderstood, flat chested, never-been-kissed, pre-war heroin, sixteen year old girl's life when she must decide between right and wrong.

Yes. RIGHT and WRONG.

Not Harry and Sam. Or Harry and Mike. Or, frak help us, Harry, Sam AND Mike. No no. In Divergent, Good, Evil and Tris are our love triangle. How utterly refreshing.

Now, don’t get me wrong. You will find your standard amount of PG-rated teen romance in this book. Check it:

Oh, eh... Wrong book. My bad.

But romance isn't the focus. And that makes me super-dooper shiney-whiney happy with sprinkles on top because I find my focus is easily persuaded elsewhere if there isn't enough action happeni....

... huh? Oh, right, right. The Plot.

Imagine: The population of Chicago has been divided into factions based on five standard values: bravery, intelligence, honesty, kindness and selflessness. Once you have chosen which of these virtues is most awesome of all you are placed into a community of like-minded individuals who will then become your only friends, peers, colleagues and the pool from which you will select your husband/wife. And best of all, you will never have anything do with anyone from the other evil, evil factions if you can help it. You see, this way you are safe in your tight little community cocoon and can spend your days bitching about how fucked-up those other factions are for choosing what is clearly a far less awesome way of living.

And you certainly never have to worry that your batshit-crazy intelligence-loving neighbours are keeping busy by plotting your evil demise. No no. The city carries on in a complete state of peace, love and mung beans.

o_O

Bitch please.

Now, what I would like to know is, which facking genius came up with THAT idea? Who was it that got up and said, "Hold up peeps. I've totally got it. We'll DIVIDE the city by forcing everyone to choose ONE AND ONLY ONE principle virtue and we'll even make it obvious by getting them to wear different colours so that there will be no question whatsoever as to which group they belong. SEPARATION is the way forward."

Wait. WAIT WAAAAIT!

What?

I'm not ENTIRELY convinced that the dystopian element makes all that much sense. Much in the same way that Delirium was all 'Love is the vicious cause of all our problems'. But that doesn't really bother me all that much. Me? I'm still cheering over the fact that we don't have to sit through another love triangle. Yeeeeehaaaawww!

And that's not even the best news! Nuh uh. That's not EVEN what I came here to say! The absolute BEST thing about Divergent is that Tris rates a high BADASS on the awesome-o-meter. Seriously. She's a moody, self indulgent, gun firing, cliff jumping, ass kicking little bitch-faced mole. AND I JUST LAP THAT SHIT UP, YO!
642 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Elle Liked

Veronica Roth
“You think my first instinct is to protect you. Because you're small, or a girl, or a Stiff. But you're wrong."

He leans his face close to mine and wraps his fingers around my chin. His hand smells like metal. When was the last time he held a gun, or a knife? My skin tingles at the point of contact, like he's transmitting electricity through his skin.

"My first instinct is to push you until you break, just to see how hard I have to press." he says, his fingers squeezing at the word break. My body tenses at the edge in his voice, so I am coiled as tight as a spring, and I forget to breathe.

His dark eyes lifting to mine, he adds, "But I resist it."

"Why..." I swallow hard. "Why is that your first instinct?"

"Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up. I've seen it. It's fascinating." He releases me but doesn't pull away, his hand grazing my jaw, my neck. "Sometimes I just want to see it again. Want to see you awake.”
Veronica Roth, Divergent

100.0% "Reread"
02/02 marked as: read

Elle Thanks Noelle :-)

message 2: by Saha (new) - added it

Saha What up White Chocolate - love love your tone. Laugh out loud funny.

Elle Saha? Brilliant disguise. Why are you not 'Flash'?

And why are you in Hawthorn when I know very well you live in assfrak nowhere like me.

message 4: by Saha (new) - added it

Saha Oh good... I can clearly see we are going to kick goals with this anon thing.

Angie Love this review!

Peyton Newell Your review made me so happy.

Caitlin B Your review actually made me laugh out loud! :D

Miranda Great review. You had me cracking up

Katee Soooooo.... FUNNY

Kellie Reed Your review is soooo funny!

Fabian Thanks, this review is great! Exactly my thoughts on this book. :)

message 12: by Mariam (new) - added it

Mariam Thanks to this review, I've decided to read this book. Hilarious.

Bettina Wooorrrrddd!!! I love Tris, she's a BAMF

Savannah lol.

Aline LOL! Tris is a real badass. She rates high on the badassery scale

Jessica Helliwell I completely agree with the whole 'Refreshing, no love triangle" thing, Although i do love a good, well written triangle every now and again, a lot of authors are now jumping on the band wagon and rushing them into there books and it just gets tedious .

message 17: by Gwyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gwyn Milliken i loved your review, i cant wait to read the book, im looking forward to the whole idea of non-love-triangle. And also, i REALLY love reading your reviews, you do a great job!!!

Smiley I kind of love your review!!!! Omigosh seriously, be my best friend :D :D :D

message 19: by Vic (new)

Vic The word you meant to use was "heroine", not "heroin". Kinda like the difference between fine and fin.

message 20: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Guthrie amazing review!

message 21: by Gemma (new)

Gemma This review is hilarious!

Dante This book is awesome. I'm ready it now and its a page turner

message 23: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I flipping loved your review! It was everything I thought and didn't know how to say. Thank you!

Sawyer Loved it! That was hilarious! Couldn't of said it better. I LAPPED THIS SHIT UP, YO!

Hanna Lindskog Oh, you summed it up beautifully! I feel like people love it just because there's not a love triangle. I think that's part of the reason I liked it.

message 26: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally You are hilarious

Michele I don't even know if I'm gonna read this book but your review cracked me up :)

Madison Chabot Whoooooo!

Natalie you know, you really should post a ' don't read this review when you're 7 year old brother is trying to fall asleep', because the review had me laughing out loud and it really irked my bro ;)

Laura Omg I woke up my while family at 2 am yesterday cause I was laughing ma ass off :)

message 31: by Fezekile (new) - added it

Fezekile Cokile I am writing a children's fantasy novel as well. I would love some feedback

Sarah Love this review!! You're right. I love that there's no love triangle. I love that Tris is a badass who is forced to make difficult decisions. I don't care if the plot or societal structure or whatever doesn't hold up to even minimal scrutiny. Divergent had me at the start, and hasn't let ne go since!!

Elisabeth You're review was so full of attitude! I LOVED it!!

Kayla Blood You're hilarious! I found this review extremely entertaining. :)

message 35: by anna (new) - rated it 1 star

anna Best thing about this book. No love triangle!!!

Robert Lee I hated the book as much as u did!

Robert Lee I hated the book as much as u did!

Potatohead No... Not wrong book. Four is saying "I am number Four."

message 39: by Jena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jena Respect the absence of the love triangle!!!

Christine Mamalio fun review! :))

message 41: by Vikram (new)

Vikram Kanakaraju Wait. This review seems full of sarcasm, but why 4 stars?

message 42: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Fox The opening comments about this not being a love triangle, but a choice betwern right and wrong - so true, and yes, refreshing! At one point I was worried that the book may go that way, but quickly that was stopped in its tracks.

Tamara Hahaha love the review! Can't tell if you love the book or hate it but I want to read it now :)

Zahra Jeraj Hey can someone tell me the table of contents for this book. I need it for something and I just finished chapter 1 of the book but I have a it an ebook and it gives me like 1000 pages cuz it's not a big screen whereas the book is actually 400 something pages. Plz answer ASAP anyone for the table of contents?

Sandy Cauldwell I totally agree with your assessment of Divergent. The book was a very well and beautifully written story of a girl who thought everything she did was wrong to a girl who began to understand wrong from right. I agree with your review.

Emily This is amazing!:P I agree whole-heartedly with your review. Tris IS a total badass and that makes this novel amazing. Also you're right about the love. It's not all about Tris and Four, it's mostly about her and that is very refreshing to read :P THANK YOU FOR BEING RIGHT AND FREAKIN AWESOME WHILE YOU DO IT :P

Catherine Mills You are an amazing human being for writing that amazing review.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

i kind of agree with ur review:) some parts were a little OTT tho. but...that pic of 'i am number four', God i loved that movie;)
btw, recommend any books?

Yayashan That was a beautifully written response and i highly agree with it

ellie your review had me cracking up!
i was laughing so hard!
this is the time i am supposed to go to sleep, and my dad was coming into the hallway!
you wanna be my friend XD

« previous 1