Alicia's Reviews > Between Here and Forever

Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott

Jun 14, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: female, dysfunctional, glbt, romance, family

** spoiler alert ** Abby is full of self-hate and doubt because her sister has always been the center of attention. But, when Tess is in a terrible accident and left in a coma, Abby still continues to live in her shadow. Fairly early on, Abby becomes overwhelmingly annoying with her low self-esteem and ambivalent toward her own worth. Too far through the story does the real story start to unfold that Tess is actually gay if not bisexual. Tess' best friend in high school, Claire, who is now a nurse at the hospital where Tess lays, was her first love until Claire went and got knocked up in high school. As Abby starts putting more pieces together, she realizes also that Beth, Tess' college roommate, was more than just her roommate, but like Claire, Tess couldn't commit and things fell apart.

I would have liked Scott to explore Tess' relationships earlier on because I almost gave up on the book for all of Abby's awful thoughts. I know that there are many siblings who live in each others' shadow, but she laid it on a little too think and Abby because pitiable. It takes a very handsome boy with OCD (for real, it is a story line that makes Eli, though shockingly handsome, human and dateable because of his flaw) to get Abby to realize she is worth loving and that not all she thought was real.

In essence, it wasn't jaw-dropping good, if anything it was a big over-the-top, but I love the cover, the title, the idea behind the story, and appreciate Abby's willingness to let people her show her that she's worth loving.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Here and Forever.