Arjen's Reviews > Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit for Software Development Managers

Lean Software Development by Mary Poppendieck

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: computing, non-dutch, non-fiction, on-shelf-work
Read from November 20, 2011 to February 20, 2012 — I own a copy

Nice, concise overview of Lean in relation to software development. Lean is an agile management philosophy derived mostly from the Toyota Production System.

I didn't know anything about lean but stumbled upon it while researching scrum (another agile management philosophy). Now I know about lean and like it very much. Some lean principles overlap scrum principles and practices while others extend them. Ideal to reflect on scrum and agile from a different perspective.

Every chapter discusses one of the lean principles and provides hands on tools to get started. The lean principles are:
- Eliminate waste
- Amplify learning
- Decide as late as possible
- Deliver as fast as possible
- Empower the team
- Build integrity in
- See the whole

What I did not like was the final chapter about the principles 'See the whole'. There is a short mention about system thinking and the rest of the chapter is basically about agile contracts. While agile approaches to contracts are worth the read, I would have liked a bit more insight in the concept of system thinking. On the other, it provides me with an opportunity to look for a nice primer on system thinking.

Highly recommended if you want to learn about lean, agile, modern project management, leading and motivating teams or reviewing and extending your scrum practices, even if you are not directly interested in the software development part of the story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lean Software Development.