Eric's Reviews > Looking for Alibrandi

Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta

Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: down-under, young-adult-fiction, realistic-fiction
Read from June 24 to 27, 2011

Will be edited later, it's late and I know I rambled on a bit...

I like that I happen to read Marchetta's books out of publishing order, it really strikes me that even though this is is her first novel I sit here thinking to myself of all the stories that she has woven for us all and I love her more for it. To know this was the first one... the first of many great ones is astounding.

If I were to sit and write a novel, through many, many - MANY rewrite get something completed it would be no where near the level that Marchetta seems to be able to do with such fluidity I don't even realize what's happening until it's already happened. You fall in love with her characters. You love the setting. You love, you love everything, period.

One moment you're reading (listening...) along and you're letting it happen and then next you want to know everything. You start to hear a funny story or about a moment that the friends and family shared and you feel like you're right there in it. I can't remember the last time that this has happened to me since... hmmm, maybe HP? Just writing that tells me how amazingly talented she is because frankly I couldn't imagine a book that could tear at my emotions enough without years of history in it. Somehow she does it.

I know just sitting here that these people are real. I wanna know what happens to them after this book ends like mad. I may never actually get to know and I'm ok with that and so pissed it's not fair. But I'll have to live with it because no matter what happens this book reminds me of the devastating power of immature and irresponsible people. It reminds me, I will always have to deal with some of these types of people, that they will never go away, and no matter how much my life is for better or worse I can always learn a new truth everyday.

Note: I do have a small beef, I've seen a couple of the most popular editions of this book and none of them come even close to what Josephine Alibrandi should look like. Either in my head.. or anyone else's. She doesn't even have any glasses on. I'm gonna go to bed now and chalk this up to it being her first novel and odds are there was a lot of pressure to go for "that look" than the actual look of the main character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alibrandi.

06/24/2011 page 1
0.0% "Who's excited? This guy! Who doesn't know a THING about this book? This guy, again! Who doesn't care? hehehe"
06/27/2011 page 2
1.0% "There is something about the way she writes. It doesn't matter if you see it coming, she's telling you it's coming, or it comes out of nowhere and you feel like you've just been kicked in gut. It's not to say that I enjoy it (that would be...wrong) but when it happens it's almost seems so unfair. Especially now. This time I think that if the men in their lives would be men how much better it could all have been."
06/27/2011 page 2
1.0% "Even writing this as a male. It's disgusting how these men (well one in particular) have treated people and to think that while it's going on everyone is so worried about other people "talking". I'd tell you what I'd be talking about... Still I like the book. I love her style."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alyssa You're going to love this book! It's amazing!

Flannery You start to hear a funny story or about a moment that the friends and family shared and you feel like you're right there in it.

Exactly.