Katrina Spencer's Reviews > Last Night at Chateau Marmont

Last Night at Chateau Marmont by Lauren Weisberger

Jun 13, 11

The book follows the tale of Brooke Alter, a nutritionist who works two jobs so her hubby, Julian, can fulfill his dream of being a musician. He finally gets a deal with Sony records, and with a $250,000 advance things have to look up right? Wrong. The money dwindles fast as he books studio time hires producers and whatnot. Brooke has always believed in him, but after a dinner with her best friend, Nola, she can’t help thinking, “Will all his hard work pay off?”

All that changes when he is invited to perform for Jay Leno. Suddenly, Brooke and Julian are catapulted to a world they never dreamed of—nights at the famous hotel Chateau Marmont, exclusive parties rubbing shoulders with celebrities, and even being spotted in her favorite celebrity gossip magazine, Last Night.

Everything seems too good to be true until Julian spends more time away from home and Brooke finds herself tabloid fodder. Brooke and Julian’s marriage is put through the wringer and together they have to ask the question,"What does success really mean, and how badly do each of them want it?”

Ultimately, I found this a very enjoyable read. I like the way Lauren takes the time to show how deep in love Julian and Brooke are, and the celebrity sightings are spot on. I did find that the novel wrapped up a little too neatly for my taste, but I wouldn’t say that the ending was bad—just predictable. Lauren does a great job of making you feel for her characters, and you end up rooting for Brooke and Julian’s marriage to survive. Overall, a fantastic read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night at Chateau Marmont.