Nate LaClaire's Reviews > Justified by Faith Alone

Justified by Faith Alone by R.C. Sproul

Sep 14, 11

Read in November, 2010

In Justified by Faith Alone, R. C. Sproul describes the differences between the Roman Catholic church’s doctrine of justification and that of the evangelical church. This debate was central to the Reformation and yet the author says that it is commonly misunderstood.

After introducing the reader to the meaning of justification and explaining the importance of the debate, he proceeds to explain each of the two viewpoints and then provides further explanation of the Reformation arguments. I found this book – barely more than a pamphlet, really – to be quite interesting. I learned a great deal from it and my understanding of the topic was helped by it. I was pleased by the care with which Sproul explained both sides, avoiding a one-sided debate.

I should point out that this book is neither a light overview nor a Biblical study of the topic. It is much more focused on the historical than the practical and therefore uses numerous Latin phrases that had significance to the Reformers as well as upper-level English that many might find confusing.

Regardless, I am glad that I listened to the audiobook. The book was aided by the exceptional narration and recording quality. The narrator’s voice was warm and his enunciation was excellent.

If Latin and college-level English don’t bother you, I encourage you to listen to this audiobook. You won’t regret it.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this audiobook free from the christianaudio Reviewers Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Justified by Faith Alone.