Natalie's Reviews > Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

It is very rarely that I ever read a novel more than once, as there are so many interesting books out there that I feel the need to devour as many new ones as I possibly can! Anne of Green Gables, however, is one of the few exceptions for me. This was not just my second time reading this novel, but my third! Ever since I first became acquainted with Anne and her wild imagination I've wanted to be transported to her world of Avonlea (and indeed I was during a trip to PEI when I was 11)! Anne of Green Gables is one of the most heartwarming and amusing books I have ever read, and it only seems to get better the more times I read it!

I think one of the main things that has always made Anne of Green Gables so loveable to me is L.M. Montgomery's slew of charming characters. Ever since I first read this novel when I was about 10 years old I have been madly in love with Gilbert Blythe! His competition with Anne in school, and his attempts to befriend her after their first disastrous meeting (which ended with a slate being broken over his head) never fails to make me sigh in adoration. Gilbert is not the only character to win over the hearts of readers, but also that of dear old Mr. Cuthbert. I don't think its possible for any reader to not love shy, sweet Matthew, and I never fail to shed tears at the end of the novel as if he were my own grandfather. The character of Marilla is also one of my absolute favourites, and I especially love the way in which Anne is able to transform the stiff older woman into a soft mother-like figure throughout the novel. From Mrs. Lynde's sharp tongue to Mrs. Allen's gentle heart, the inhabitants of Avonlea form a community that makes readers wish they belonged there as well.

I was very hesitant to review this book at all, because I find it extremely difficult to put into words how simply amazing this novel is. As a result, I think the only thing I can really say is that if you have not read Anne of Green Gables before then you must now! It is one of the few books that I think everyone should read before they die! Not only is the original novel incredible, but also the 1985 tv movie version of the story, which is one of the few adaptations that I think is as good as the book itself! The imagination and blunders of Anne have been charming readers since it was first published in 1908, and will certainly continue to do so for generations to come!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Green Gables.

Quotes Natalie Liked

L.M. Montgomery
“Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds.”
L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables