Liza Gilbert's Reviews > Paper Towns

2035961
Sep 06, 11

bookshelves: excellent-character, young-adult
Read in September, 2011

Perhaps not my favorite John Green (I'm still leaning toward An Abundance of Katherines). However, I would have given this book 4 stars even if the first 200 pages had been "Blah, blah, blah" repeated over an over again...with the road trip at the end.

In fantastic screwball comedy rhythm, Green wrote a near perfect (if not perfect) road trip episode that perfectly illustrated several things I consider to be universal about epic road trips:
1) Someone always has to go to the bathroom
2) The food is awful, or at least awful for you
3) You always end up road tripping with people you might not have chosen as your first choices as companions on a road trip
4) At least one person has to consume too many energy drinks, coffees, etc. so as to appear akin to a hopped up, twitchy ferret
5) The lives of at least half of the people in the vehicle have to be treatened by animal collision, falling meteorite, etc.

For sheer amusement Green also added a wonderful speed-of-light convenience store gauntlet that had me in stitches. I felt Green's somewhat depressed outsider character and discussion of paper towns to be a little darker than some of his other works, but on a whole, this was, again, another brilliant work by Mr. Green.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.