Gemma's Reviews > The Lying Game

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard

Jun 13, 11

Read in June, 2011

Kind of like a darker, unintentional version of the Parent Trap: two twins who have never met before meet, switch places, one has to fake like the other, etc, etc. New twist: other twin may have been murdered.

Personally, I doubt that Sutton's actually dead, no matter what she wants to tell me. But that's just me.

I dunno... it wasn't bad. At some places it was interesting, but overall, it just seemed... flat. Like the author didn't put quite enough effort into getting a style or good characterrs or anything. All of Sutton's... associates (friends, sisters, etc.) were totally interchangeable. Emma (haha... name twin. But she was tall) had no personality, which is probably why it wasn't that hard for her to fake another. All the girls were catty to each other, which is okay if it's only one, but when it's all of them... it's difficult to separate characters and/or work up any emotional attachments.

Also, I'm not sure when the author intends to start answering questions, like how or why. Seeing as her other series has been stretched out to... at least eight books, I don't have high hopes for getting all that many answers any time in the near future.

So, I wasn't hugely impressed. Nothing about the book lingered in my mind, except that I found the pop culture references to be rather annoying. I suspect half of them will be dated by next year. Also, the names were weird. Sutton sounded like a last name to me, so I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what her first name was, only to remember that it was her real name...

Yeah. If that's what you spend half a mystery trying to figure out, you know the author could be doing a way better job with elements like suspense and plot development than she is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lying Game.

Celise Just finished this with the same feelings. Shepard's books now remind me of a factory line product where they used to entertain me. And Sutton is indeed a last name, and I just finished a book about Willie Sutton the famous bank robber so this was confusing haha.