Bea 's Reviews > Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian

Be Different by John Elder Robison

Robison is a very good writer. He writes clearly and honestly about his struggles with being different, having Aspergers, not being diagnosed until he was an adult and what that meant to him, and the coping techniques that he's used over the years. He has developed a pretty clear understanding of what he can and can not do and freely admits when he doesn't know for sure when a quirk or difficulty si due to his autism and when it's just "normal". He also speculates on what is normal and why is it defiend the way it is. Whether you have Aspergers or fall anywhere on the autism spectrum, have a friend or family member or even a co-worker with Aspergers or student in your classroom, you will find this book useful.

He explains, as best he can, why he behaves and reacts as he does, the tricks and techniques he uses to function successfully in society and touches on agony of being "different" and "abnormal" (he covers that in more depth in his autobiography, "Look Me In The Eye").

While Robison may have difficulty communicating face to face, he does very well when he writes. He is articulate, sharp, and humorous. I finally feel as if I have a grasp on what it can be like for someone with Aspergers and I can better foresee what the future holds for the two and three year olds (who are generally too young for an accurate autism diagnosis but not always), I teach.

The appendix has a fairly comprehensive listing of current resources and all through the book we get tips and suggestions for dealing with autism.

The book is an easy yet thought-provoking read, engrossing read and I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be Different.

06/13/2011 page 57
19.0% "Very good so far"
06/14/2011 page 131
43.0% "Very good, well written and useful."
show 2 hidden updates…