Kych's Reviews > Because I Am Furniture

Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas

Jun 13, 11

Read in June, 2011

What I really liked about this book is that the story is told in poems. As a literature student, we're taught that every word, punctuation and arrangement of the lines contribute to the meaning of the poem/story. With this in mind, reading the novel through these poems made it even more impactful and compelling. The protagonist's feelings are emphasised by the words and sentences that have been singled out through the form and punctuation.

I would've given this 4 stars. However, what I found lacking was that at the end of the novel, there were strings left untied. Like a few reviewers have mentioned, the outcome of her relationships with her neighbor and that guy from school (trying to be ambiguous cause I don't want to reveal anything!) have been left unknown. The novel felt incomplete as not all the things that were brought up were met with a proper conclusion. Having said that, leaving out all those might have been the author's intention in making the ending stand out more, above all those others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because I Am Furniture.