Kellie's Reviews > Espresso Tales

Espresso Tales by Alexander McCall Smith

Pats father is a bit annoying...He can't just make his point. He begins a sentence and goes off on an almost unintelligent tangent. Actually, he is very intelligent but sometimes these people can be so profound, they almost sound stupid. Pat's father could be a subtle representation of the author,Smith.

-#2 in the Scotland Street Series-First, I believe this will be the last book I read in this series. It absolutely drove me crazy. There is so much babble going on during the conversations in this book, it was difficult to patiently get thru it. I wish the author would have just told the story, instead he went off on so many tangents, it was very annoying. And then he introduces a character in the middle of the book who was telling his wife his memoir. I was waiting for a link to be revealed. One that linked this character to another. Didn’t happen. So, I’m still scratching my head about this guy and what relevance he had except to add pages. I did enjoy the Bertie part of the story. Finally, the Dad takes a stand and does something about the weirdo Mom who is trying to make her kid some kind of freak. To me, if the whole book was about Bertie, it would have been much more tolerable. I am surprised this author is the same one who wrote the Precious Ramotswe series. Really? These books, the writing style are so different. I love the #1 Ladies Detective Agency. I do not recommend these.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Espresso Tales.

12/16/2011 page 1