Kaye's Reviews > Cotillion

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, favorites-second-tier, genre-love-historical
Read from April 16 to 18, 2012 — I own a copy

(I apologize in advance for any incoherency. Regency novels really bring out the closet romantic in me.)

I'm sorry, Jane Austen, but I think Georgette Heyer just gave your "Best Regency Writer Ever" pedestal a little shake. That's okay, though. I still love you, too.

Truly, though, this is one of those sweet, old-fashioned romances that make you want to have a fiance that you can link arms with and share one of those private, happy ending smiles so prevalent in old BBC dramas. I was half-hope, half-fear as I read, thinking that (view spoiler). I actually had a goofy smile on my face as I clicked to the last page. Isn't it lovely when it all works out the way you want it to?

Our hero, Freddy, had me in his corner from the get-go. He's considered a bit foppish by his own parents, seeing as he has an obsession with fashion and has an almost-homicidal urge to keep his clothes wrinkle-free. But underneath all the frills and feathers is a heart of gold, and he doggedly takes care of Kitty in a way that had me clutching at my chest every other page.

(The only thing I was curious about was how that relationship would work after the wedding. "Kitty...now, darling, you know you're my favorite girl. But that cloak in the tailor's window, it was just calling to me!")

In any case, if you love Regency and need a quiet, sweet companion for your cup of tea, please, please, PLEASE pick this up. You will not regret it, I promise you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cotillion.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Coolies. I'll be sure to check this out when I'm looking for a feel-good fluff read.

Kaye Phoebe wrote: "Coolies. I'll be sure to check this out when I'm looking for a feel-good fluff read."

Yes, you should! :D