Anne's Reviews > After Obsession

bookshelves: ghost-story, paranormal, young-adult, read-in-2012, nook
Read in August, 2012

After Obsession
Cool name.
Unfortunately, I have no idea why it's the name of this book.
Um, after what obsession? Can someone explain it to me? I didn't notice anyone with an unnatural obsession in this book.
At all.
Really. I'm not being snarky. Feel free to leave a comment if you 'get it'...'cause I sure didn't.
*EDIT*
Several of you have responded to let me know what the hell After Obsession meant.
Thank you!
Evidently I missed it, but one of the stages of possession is referred to as Obsession.

Ok. Now that that's settled, let's get on with the review.

I didn't find the fact that it was written by two authors distracting, but I also didn't find their voices to be very different from each other, either. Sorry, but Alan sounded like he was written by a woman.
I'm just assuming that Steve Wedel was writing Alan, and Carrie Jones was doing Aimee's chapters. Maybe I'm wrong. Probably not.

It's one of those books that entertains you while you are reading it, but after you're done, you realize that it's kind of blah. Lots of plot holes, insta-love, and little bit of unexplained supernatural baddies. Typical YA stuff.
Eh.
I like Jones' Need series, so I was hoping this would be...better. It wasn't.

Yeah, it wasn't great. Luckily, I'm not a very discriminating reader, and (to me) being entertained counts for more than actual substance. The fact that I didn't notice the flaws until it was over, pushed this one up from 2.5 stars (that it probably deserves) to a solid 3 stars.
And that is why no one should ever pay attention to my reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Obsession.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Briana (Reader, Writer, Critic) It is called after obsession because one of the stated stages of posession that Alan lists is Obsession.

Anne Aha! Thank you! I must have forgotten/missed that part. Well, that explains a lot.

Alisha Yeah its the third stage of possession after which complete possession occurs. (Thats how it's explained in the book anyway - I have no idea if this is considered the general rule of possession.. Haha)

Good review. (:

Anne Thanks, again. I guess I was thinking of it differently, and missed that whole explanation.

Marisella after obsession is possession; those are the steps a spirit takes

Rebekah The only reason I caught on to it was because I read your review before I read the book and so was looking out for it.

Anne Hah! So my review was good for something!

Rebekah Yes, Thank you. :)

message 9: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Downes At a guess, I think the title links in with the following. pg 152: '"The Acne" she asks.
I nod. "It's the obsession stage, and it seems to be getting stronger..."'

Just a thought. Relates to the whole demon possession aspect of the story. What happens to Courtney "after obsession".

message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Thank you Jackie! I finally did an edit!