Vee's Reviews > The Wanderers

Jun 13, 2011

bookshelves: crime, fiction, street-lit
Recommended for: Fans of Donald Goines, David Simon and urban street tales
Read from June 13 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy

Not only does this book contains many insensitive racial epithets, Price makes sure you know the correct spelling of the very over-used, dreaded "N" word. Ok, this book is not for the squeamish. It's filled with homophobia, sexism, equal-opportunity racism, enough violence to keep the 18-25 demographic happy but yet this book is entertaining. This book is New York, well one aspect of the Big Apple.

The true gem that shines throughout this short read are the relationships. Father and son, mother and son, brothers, friends, young lovers and the heated rivals really make this coming of age tale compelling.

Richard Price at 24? Yeah, I can see it.

I'm sure Hollywood did everything to sanitize the cinematic adaption but I still plan on checking it out one day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wanderers.

Quotes Vee Liked

Richard Price
“Some day, my son, you are going to learn that the two greatest joys of being a man are beating the hell out of someone and getting the hell beaten out of you, good night.”
Richard Price, I Wanderers

06/13/2011 page 13
06/14/2011 page 35
15.0% "Price got jokes."
06/14/2011 page 35
15.0% "A co-worker was just discussing the Fordham Baldies."
06/15/2011 page 118
49.0% "So far, this book is really good."
06/15/2011 page 158
66.0% "obstreperous 1. unruly. 2. noisy, clamorous, or boisterous: obstreperous children . . . interesting word but very unnecessary."