Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Something Rotten

Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde

Dec 04, 08

bookshelves: fiction, mystery, time-travel, reviewed, speculative-fiction, novel, books-about-books, groups-buddies
Recommended for: Jasper Ffords’s Thursday Next series fans
Read in December, 2008

You really have to read this series in order, in my opinion. The time traveling inside these books would be way too confusing if read out of order and I do admit that I'm a stickler for reading all series books in order.

I loved #1: The Eyre Affair and in a way I enjoyed #2: Lost in a Good Book even more. #3: The Well of Lost Plots I slogged through: it was disappointing for me, although it did pick up and improve toward the end of the book. Anyway, I am so glad that I (finally) continued. The Eyre Affair was so unique so I’m especially fond of it, but I actually think this fourth book in the series (of 5 so far) is my very favorite. It’s pretty unusual (for me) to have a fourth in a series book be the best of the bunch.

So many old characters that I loved made appearances and there were quite a few new, interesting characters introduced as well, including Hamlet!

This series is very, very funny. Fforde takes pokes at so much of our popular culture, at politics, and is brilliant at it. It’s a perfect series for literature lovers as well since he incorporates so much of the book world (in a very creative way!) into these books.

If you’re not a book snob and you can appreciate a humorous book that crosses genres (mystery, science fiction, general fiction, fantasy, and humor) I highly recommend these books. But read the other three before this one so you can fully understand and appreciate this one. This is a fast paced, engrossing, and very fun read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Rotten.

11/26/2008 page 20
5.14% "I finally started this last night. I thought I'd have a lot of time to read this week but it's not turning out to be the case."
11/27/2008 page 57
14.65% "enjoying this 4th one as much as 1 & 2 and more than 3"
12/01/2008 page 126
32.39% "Really enjoying it but haven't been spending much time reading, and so many books in the queue including books already borrowed."
12/02/2008 page 186
47.81% "I'm enjoying this fourth one as much as the first & second in the series and so much more than the third in the series."
12/03/2008 page 280
71.98% "This one is so much fun. Many of my favorite characters from the first three books are making appearances."

Sandi Five stars--you really liked it. Do you have the newest one yet? It's sitting in my drawer but I'm afraid to read it because I don't know how long it will be before another one comes out.

Lisa Vegan Sandi, I'm borrowing all of these from the library and I think I'll wait a while before I read 5. I simply have too many other books that I need and want to read first.

Abigail, If you do get a move on, I'll be very interested in whether you enjoy these. There are widely divergent opinions. I would definitely recommend The Eyre Affair and, if you enjoy it, would strongly encourage you to read at least through this one.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For I just couldn't get into the Eyre Affair. After about 2-3 chapters I felt like I was missing half the jokes and just couldn't see reading the rest. It felt like you had to have a pretty solid background in classic literature to appreciate the book, and as well read as I am, I'm a bit light on the classics.

message 4: by Skylar (last edited Dec 05, 2008 05:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skylar Burris I liked the first in this series most, and then this 4th one probably second best, but I really didn't like 5. At least, I couldn't get into it. I stopped reading it. It just wasn't interesting; no sucking you in in terms of plot--just one "clever" joke or set-up after another. I completely lost interest in the series about 25 pages into book 5. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but I think this sort of thing has to have a stopping point, and that may have been it.

message 5: by Lena (new) - added it

Lena Oh, I'm so glad to hear this. I loved the first, but felt my enthusiasm wane over the next two, so I'm happy to know it's worth continuing!

Lisa Vegan Lena, 4 was great. I'd read at least this one if you've read the first three.

Skylar, I've heard the same from others about 5, which is one reason I'm not rushing out to read it. I'll give it a try though. (The time gap I've heard about doesn't appeal to me at all!)

Michael, I actually don't think you need to know anything. When the Jane Eyre parts are included, an entire synopsis of the book is included, well one version of it anyway. I do have gaps in my knowledge of England and of literature, and I know that I didn't get all the jokes, but I did get enough of them to enjoy The Eyre Affair and I have friends who haven't read Jane Eyre who liked the book, and all the books in the series, even though they hadn't read a lot of the books mentioned.

And 4 & 1 are the best in the series. I think he's so clever and creative but I can understand some readers not enjoying this series.