Loralee's Reviews > To the Rescue: The Biography of Thomas S. Monson

Jun 13, 11

bookshelves: biography, religious
Recommended for: my family
Read from January 01 to June 13, 2011

Several years ago, my sister Barbara and I were attending a Women's Conference at BYU. Pres. Monson was the concluding speaker of the Friday afternoon session. We were so excited to hear him speak that we didn't leave the Marriott Center all day. As each session ended, we moved closer and closer to the front of the large room until we had extremely good seats. When President Monson walked into the room, we reverently stood. The Spirit confirmed that he was an apostle of God. As he spoke that afternoon, we laughed together with his self-deprecating humor and wept as our spirits were touched with his poignant memories.

A few years later, I attended the Sacramento Temple Cultural Celebration. He and President Hinckley walked in the ARCO arena together--President Hinckley waving his cane in greeting. They both spoke primarily to the youth who were about to perform their hearts out for these men. Again, I felt the Holy Ghost whispering to me that these men have truly been called of God.

On February 4, 2008, I watched the press conference where President Monson spoke as the newly ordained prophet of God. As he introduced his new counselors, the Holy Ghost confirmed once again that he is the prophet of God. I have always loved listening to President Monson at conferences and other meetings. I was so excited when his biography was recently published.

For the past few months, this has been my book of choice for Sunday afternoons. I completed it this morning. The thing that I take away from this book is his love and interest for the one. He truly is someone who tries to follow our Savior's example of reaching out to others and building them up. I loved learning that he wasn't a perfect boy growing up, yet he was very teachable. His father wasn't particularly active in the church, but he didn't let that become an excuse for becoming less active himself.

This is a book I heartily recommend to others who want to learn more about a man of great integrity and compassion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Rescue.