Corinne's Reviews > American Born Chinese

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

Mar 12, 2008

bookshelves: graphic-novel, 2008, young-adult, coming-of-age, mythology, chinese-interest, asian-american, memoir
Read in March, 2008

I've never read a graphic novel before - I got this one from the library when I read about the author coming to town. I wasn't sure what to expect - but I found it really readable. I think anyone who has lived through adolescence can identify with a lot of the feelings of the main character - whether you are of the majority race in your community or not. I think Yang presents a really interesting look at how hard we look to find ourselves and be comfortable in our own skin. I liked that the drawings and the switching between modern-day and folklore really made me stop and think and reason things out - to figure out what exactly Yang was trying to say. While occasionally it got a little too super-hero-ish for me, I really did like the colorful and drawn format - a change of pace for me. I was sad when I turned the page and saw that it was finished. Worth picking up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Born Chinese.

02/08/2016 marked as: read

Tricia I read this for a YA Lit class I took last year. I too had never read a graphic novel before. Consider picking up Persepolis--it is my favorite graphic novel (you know, of the 4 or so I've read!).

Corinne So, interesting that you mention it, it's on my list of books for the Orbis Terrarum challenge!! I'm glad to hear that you recommend it :)

Tricia I just went and read that on your blog. What a coincidence!