Alicia Hansen's Reviews > Ella Enchanted

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Jun 13, 2011

bookshelves: must-reads
Read in June, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 10

This is my favorite book. Of all time. I've reread and reread it until the cover has torn, worn, and become a tattered and taped-up mess. I have destroyed and killed this book time and again with love. I will never ever find anything quite completely comparable to this wonderful story, and nothing can ever take it's place in my heart. I love it for the language, the imagination that has produced such memorable and lovable characters, places, and languages, and the raw honesty that blooms on every page from the words of the incomparable Heroine, Ella, or the many people she meets who influence, anger, and delight her. Not enough stars to ever rate this correctly. Simply superb.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ella Enchanted.

Quotes Alicia Liked

Gail Carson Levine
“Do you like to slide?" His voice was eager.
Stair rails! Did he suspect me? I forced a sigh. "No, Majesty. I'm terrified of heights."
"Oh." His polite tone had returned.
"I wish I could enjoy it. This fear of heights is an affliction."
He nodded, a show of sympathy but not much interest. I was losing him.
"Especially," I added, "as I've grown taller.”

Gail Carson Levine
“I wished she’d never stop squeezing me. I wished I could spend the rest of my life as a child, being slightly crushed by someone who loved me.”

Gail Carson Levine
“That's funny, you're funny. I like you, I'm quite taken by you.”

Gail Carson Levine
“That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to lay a curse on me. She meant to bestow a gift. When I cried inconsolably through my first hour of life, my tears were her inspiration. Shaking her head sympathetically at Mother, the fairy touched my nose. "My gift is obedience. Ella will always be obedient. Now stop crying, child."
I stopped.”

Gail Carson Levine
“It is helpful to know the proper way to behave, so one can decide whether or not to be proper.”

Gail Carson Levine
“And so, with laughter and love, we lived happily ever after.”

Gail Carson Levine
“I want to be with you forever and beyond...”