Jana (The Book Goddess)'s Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: top-ten-2011, 2011-reads, xmas-gifts
Read on November 19, 2011

Wow. Infinite stars. I can't stop thinking about it. I can't stop smiling.
Oh my. Definitely my favourite book of 2011.

Review coming soon (after I can form a coherent thought) :D :D :D

My blog: http://jana-thebookgoddess.blogspot.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

Quotes Jana (The Book Goddess) Liked

Tahereh Mafi
“I'm wearing dead cotton on my limbs and a blush of roses on my face.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe.”

Tahereh Mafi
“My life is four walls of missed opportunities poured in concrete molds.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I am nothing but novocaine. I am numb, a world of nothing, all feeling and emotion gone forever.
I am a whisper that never was.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Hope is a pocket of possibility.
I'm holding it in my hand.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Hope is hugging me, holding me in its arms, wiping away my tears and telling me that today and tomorrow and two days from now I will be just fine and I'm so delirious I actually dare to believe it.”

Tahereh Mafi
“But I'm shocked by the tenderness in his voice. The sincerity with which he wants to know. He's like a feral dog, crazed and wild, thirsty for chaos, simultaneously aching for recognition and acceptance.
Love.”

Tahereh Mafi
“All I ever wanted was to reach out and touch another human being not just with my hands but with my heart.”

Tahereh Mafi
“The sun drops into the ocean and splashes browns and red and yellows and oranges into the world outside my window.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Raindrops are my only reminder that clouds have a heartbeat. That I have one, too.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I think if I freeze myself I can freeze the pain.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Find me a cure for these tears, I'd really like to exhale for the first time in my life.”

Tahereh Mafi
“His eyes are two buckets of rainwater: deep, fresh, clear. Hurt.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I always wonder about raindrops.

I wonder about how they're always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end. It's like someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn't seem to care where the contents fall, doesn't seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to tap on their doors.

I am a raindrop.

My parents emptied their pockets of me and left me to evaporate on a concrete slab.

Tahereh Mafi
“You can't touch me," I whisper. I'm lying, is what I don't tell him. He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him. Please touch me, is what I want to tell him.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I've been screaming for years and no one has ever heard me.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Adam stares at me so long I begin to blush. He tips my chin up so I meet his eyes. Blue blue blue boring into me. His voice is deep, steady. "I don't think I've ever heard you laugh."

He's so excruciatingly correct I don't know how to respond except with the truth. My smile is tucked into a straight line. "Laughter comes from living." I shrug, try to sound indifferent. "I've never really been alive before.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Every butterfly in the world has migrated to my stomach.”
Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

12/27/2011 "this is actually my second time reading this book! Just wanted to read its 'amazingness' again and also to write a 'proper' review for it :)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Donna  Happy Booker I thought the choice of a wedding style dress was a little odd too. But, like you, I can't wait to read it!

Jana (The Book Goddess) Yeah, and other people (who have read it) said that its significant to the story so... I can't wait to find out how it relates to it :)