Gail's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

F_50x66
Jul 18, 11

Read from June 13 to July 01, 2011

This was a very cool book. It is about the lives of twin boys, and the people around them. It takes place mostly in Ethiopia during the early 50's and spans about 40 years. During their lives, Ethiopia goes through several revolutions, and their is great unrest in the country. The two boys grow up in a medical clinic with some very dedicated doctors, which makes both boys very interested in medicine. There is a lot of medical experiences in this book, which I found very interesting. This book has some rough spots, there is not always a happy ending, in fact very few, but you continue to cheer and hope for the best for these characters. I found it fascinating to see the relationship between the twins. Being a mother of twins I have always been interested in how connected they are and look forward to seeing their lives intertwine. I have fears as the mother and father in this book had for their boys. They struggle with their relationships and just growing up. The book is written beautifully and shares some hard problems that the characters deal with. I felt very lucky most of the book to live in a place as I do, and more than that to have the people around me that I do. This book can stretch you and give you a view of another way of life. I highly recommend it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.