Antof9's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Jun 13, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-read, americana, couldn-t-put-it-down, first-novel, liberry, made-me-think, upsetting
Read on June 13, 2011

Wow. I couldn't put this down. It started just a little bit awkwardly for me, sort of like Life of Pi in that I had to think through who was speaking and what was in italics and what wasn't, but once it got dialed in in my brain, everything clicked and I didn't want to stop ... as is evidenced by what day I started it and what day I finished it, I suppose.

It's an obviously heavy topic, but I thought it was handled very well, especially given the intended audience. I truly believe it could make a difference. Honestly, it would be a great book for mature teens to read. I felt like it was a morality tale (in the best way) -- a cautionary story, if you will, on what can happen from seemingly harmless (perceptually harmless, anyway) things.

Maybe it had more impact on me because I recently read Columbine, about the killings at Columbine High School here in Colorado, or maybe I just read it the way the author hoped I would ... I don't know. But I thought it was very well done.

I found the Tony character rather haunting. Driving around, having a burger at Rosie's... waiting. Sort of a watchman. A sensitive one, helpful and gracious ... I don't know, I found myself wanting more of him. And I also wanted Clay's tape to be what it ended up being. Bravo.

Oh, and if I'd been the editor and/or publisher of this, I'd have dropped the "why". "Thirteen Reasons" would have been a much more compelling (and easier to say) title.
1 like · flag

06/13/2011 page 6
2.0% 2 comments

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Carey I'm glad you liked it! It certainly sticks with you.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Great review. And yours, too, Carey. :) Can't wait to finally read this.

Antof9 I'm so glad you read and reviewed it, Carey - I hadn't even heard of it, so who knows when it would have crossed my path, if ever. I'm really glad I read it.

Jen - I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it!