Lindsey's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

May 05, 08

bookshelves: classics, audio-books, clean, adult-fiction, historical-fiction, ladies, fantasy, romance
Read in May, 2008

I've always heard of Wuthering Heights as a love story, and it is, but it's not the kind of love story I was expecting. It's really more a tale about selfish and vengeful people ruining the lives of everyone around them.

Heathcliff is an adopted son of the Earnshore family (I listened to it on CD, so names might be misspelled). Catherine is the daughter. They grow up best friends and are obviously - to the reader - in love, but Heathcliff is not in good enough standing to marry Catherine. She marries someone else, and Heathcliff leaves. Heathcliff comes back years later a changed man and everything starts to fall apart from there.

I keep expecting Heathcliff to redeem himself, but he doesn't. I don't find him a sympathetic character AT ALL, Catherine only a little more so. I enjoyed the story but it's not a classic I could read over and over again (i.e. Pride and Prejudice) because I get so frusterated at everyone's awful behavior.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.