Michelle's Reviews > A Shot in the Dark

A Shot in the Dark by K.A. Stewart

1951344
Jun 18, 11

A Shot In The Dark is the second book in the Jesse James Dawson series by K.A. Stewart and a ROC Fantasy.

Book Blurb:

THE ENEMY OF HIS ENEMY

Jesse James Dawson is a Champion, putting his life on the line for those foolish enough to bargain with demons and fighting to save their souls. But even a Champion needs some downtime, so Jesse takes his annual camping trip to Colorado for some male bonding over friendly games of paintball.

Unfortunately, the fun and war games are interrupted by a pack of creatures summoned up from the very depths of hell by an entity Jesse prayed he'd never see again. With the lives of his friends and a teenager's soul on the line, Jesse's only hope may lie with an even more dangerous enemy--his personal demon, Axel...

My thoughts:

Jesse James Dawson is just your average guy - if average carries a sword, practices bushido, and fights demons for the souls so easily bargained away by their owners.

Jesse is just one of several Champions throughout the world who have the ability to go up against a demon. It is never easy, Jesse will bear the scars of battle for the rest of his life - but to walk away without trying is not something Jesse is capable of doing.

As well as the Champions, the Order is privy to this world of demons and the bargains they make with man. But the Order is not always willing to work alongside the Champions. As a matter of fact, the Order often hinders more than helps.

Jesse doesn’t know it, but one of the Order is along for his annual camping trip - and even though he is less than forthcoming - when push comes to shove, he’ll be an asset in the coming fight.

A Shot in the Dark is the first book I’ve read by K.A. Stewart, and though it is the second in the series, I had no trouble reading it as a stand alone. That being said, I am eager to read the first book - A Devil in the Details.

I give A Shot in the Dark 4 out of 5 stars and can’t wait for more in this series.

Product Details

Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Roc; Original edition (7-5-11)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0451464109
ISBN-13: 978-0451464101
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Shot in the Dark.