D'Anne's Reviews > Bridge of Sighs

Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo

Apr 06, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in April, 2008

I really love Richard Russo and really enjoyed this book but felt it went on a little too long at the end -- like a good friend who you love to spend time with but who stays maybe a day longer than he should because as much as you love him you've got work to do. And yet, you can hardly be too upset because this friend says things like:"[T]here is, despite our wild imaginings, only one life. The ghostly others, no matter how real they seem, no matter how badly we need them, are phantoms. The one life we're left with is sufficient to fill and refill our imperfect hearts with joy, and then to shatter them. And it never, ever lets up. Blame love."

I thought it was interesting that both this book and Ann Patchett's latest, Run, which both came out around the same time, feature a young black girl who has a talent for running and who is adopted by older white folks. A strange coincidence, I thought. Russo's is by far the better book when compared to Run, but not nearly as good as Russo's own Straight Man or Empire Falls.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge of Sighs.