Heather's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Jan 09, 13

Read in May, 2011

I fell in love with a zombie. There, I said it out loud and I’m not embarrassed. Isaac Marion’s novel, Warm Bodies, is a romance. Yes, a zombie romance! Now before you all get grossed out on me, hear me out. In this author’s post-zombie apocalypse world, you first meet R. R isn’t your typical zombie that shuffles around mumbling “Braaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnnssss!” until he stumbles upon his next meal. You step right into R’s shoes. In this world, zombies are dead (of course), and they are really reduced to the basic human needs, like food, love, companionship. But these zombies think and wax poetic about the important things in life (or afterlife in zombies’ case), but it's all inside their head since they can only utter monosyllabic words. Zombies group together in hives, where they socialize, form hunting groups to bring back kills for those unable to hunt for themselves, adopt babies and even get married.

The main character, R is a zombie first and foremost. Although he isn’t as decayed as some of the others, he can’t remember much of his life. He can’t even remember his name, only that it started with an R. His hive is a dilapidated airport that has sporadic electricity. One of his favorite things to do is ride the moving walkways back and forth, thinking about the meaning of things that he can’t verbalize. He has made an airplane into his own little home, where he collects records and other memorabilia that he finds on hunting trips.

It is on one of these hunting trips from the airport into the nearest big city that R stumbles upon a small group of humans that are out on a scavenging trip at a pharmaceutical business. Once inside, they overtake the small group and R kills a teenage guy named Perry. In Marian’s zombie verse, the zombies actually get a glimpse of the human’s thoughts and memories when they eat the brain. Once R consumes a small part of Perry’s brain, he has vivid flashes of Perry’s memory, especially Perry’s girlfriend Julie. She happens to be on the salvaging trip along with a few others. Surprised by these new feelings that he has for this human, he brings Julie back to the airport to protect her.

But Julie isn’t the only thing that R brings back with him. He’s pocketed Perry’s brain and he slowly doles out portions to himself so he can savor the feelings and memories of Julie. As R spends more time with Julie, he slowly starts to gain some of his humanity back, starting with speech. Throughout the novel, you get to know Perry through each little piece of him that R consumes. You also learn that zombies can be pretty articulate inside their head, but they can’t verbalize it so much.

Some things are standard in tales of zombies, such as moaning, blood and guts, mindless hunger. But Isaac Marion doesn’t dwell on these items; he lets you see just how complex a zombie really can be. Throughout R’s growing relationship with Julie, the author explores how humanizing love can be, even when you’re surrounded by constant death and decay. And no matter how trapped inside yourself you are, there’s always a way to come back into the world of the living.

Originally posted on Bewitched Bookworms

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Greta is Erikasbuddy I'm still on hold for this at my library. SUper hoping that I get it soon. Awesome review!!

Heather Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "I'm still on hold for this at my library. SUper hoping that I get it soon. Awesome review!!"

I hope you get it soon too, it's a really great book. I just hope the movie does it justice.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Its already had the rights sold? WOW!

Heather This book was out and a big hit in England for a while before releasing in the U.S. The movie's already been casted too. I'm pretty sure it's moving forward quickly.

Greta is Erikasbuddy WOW! And look at me in the dark lolz ;)

Heather I wouldn't have known if it wasn't in the press release in the copy I got in the mail, lol. And I knew about the movie casting from enetertainment weekly.

Greta is Erikasbuddy HAHAS!! Nice!! That's how I figured out what a Twilight was (from EW)

Heather Lol, my sister just bugged me relentlessly about those until I finally read them. And you know how that turned out. Speaking of which, chapter 20 should be headed your way tomorrow.

Greta is Erikasbuddy LOLZ! I got an EW the week of July 18, 2008 (I know this because I have it framed above my compy)and was like "What the hell is that?" Read the artical and it said I should know what it was... still "WHAT IS IT?", requested the book from the library, saw there were a jillion holds on it, cancelled my request, and bought it off Amazon for $6 lolz... THus starting my addiction ;)

I looks forwards to Ch. 20!! Squee squee!

Heather Cool! I made my sis buy me the first two for Christmas since she wanted me to read them so bad, but I didn't start them until I was home on maternity leave in March 2009. But then she wound up borrowing my copies of 3 and 4. I've only read the series once, but my sister has read those and Harry Potter at least 10 times through. I keep telling her there are so many other good books out there, but she just keeps rereading them, lol.

Darkfallen I kept re reading them too. Over and over and over. I HATED!!!!! reading. It was the surest way to put me to sleep. Then I watched New Moon the movie, hated the ending, couldn't wait to see what happened next, and my damn besty(who had read all the books) wouldn't tell me!! Said I had to read if I wanted to know. So after weeks of her taunting me I folded. I actually started with Eclipse. In the end I went back and read Twilight. Before I knew it I had read the first 2 4 times and the last 2 5! And the bf said the same thing about there being other books out there...and watcha know? A book blogger that hated to read! Lolz

Charmika Don't feel bad! I fell in love with a zombie as well! :-)
Awesome review!

Heather Charmika wrote: "Don't feel bad! I fell in love with a zombie as well! :-)
Awesome review!"

Thanks! Aw, I'm glad you loved R too!