Meredith's Reviews > Brave Girl Eating: A Family's Struggle with Anorexia

Brave Girl Eating by Harriet  Brown

Jun 13, 11

bookshelves: memoir
Read on June 13, 2011

I really liked this book. I had read Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimiawhich I really enjoyed until reading Hornbacher's other memoirs, which made me realize that Wasted was a really self-edited version of Hornbacher's anorexia (what an unreliable narrator she was!).

This was a memoir from the point of view of a parent, and did go into some detail about old/new treatments for anorexia. It's obvious it's not "cured", and while I hope for Kitty's future she is able to beat the disease, I appreciated the fact that the author didn't just finish the novel on a high note--some of these addiction/health memoirs tend to do that, and this was a more realistic ending, knowing that the disease would probably never be "gone".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave Girl Eating.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten I was really impressed by Wasted - I'm sorry to hear that she was not entirely truthful there! Huh.

Meredith Yeah, me too. She's got a couple of other books out--one on her alcoholism and then the final one on her mental illness. The mental illness one was the book that made me realize she'd been lying about a LOT of things during Wasted. Let's just say I don't think she was ever in recovery for her anorexia.