Neil's Reviews > The Diary of Anne Frank: The Play

The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich

Jun 22, 11

Read from June 13 to 22, 2011

OK, I'm sure I read excerpts from the Diary years ago for some class or another, and everyone who is literate knows the basics of Anne Frank's tragic story, but somehow I'd always missed reading it in any complete form. The adapted play has been coming up several times lately in the theater circles I run in, so I decided to give it a go.

I was unprepared for Anne's vivacity and her relative modernity. She reads like a more modern teenager, and it makes her sad death in the closing months of WWII that much more immediate and horrifying. I also wasn't ready for quite how much the adults in her attic world squabbled and picked at each other and the children as they tried to stay sane while forced to remain quiet throughout the days above a factory, every moment fearing betrayal, a casual mistake that would reveal their presence, or a more careful search by the Nazis. It must have been truly harrowing.

This is a sad work but so important and so easy to read. Everyone ought to try it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Anne Frank.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Bunn I always thought Anne had a real future as a writer, and I can't help but wonder what she would have created if she had lived. Then I start wondering how many other great talents were lost to the Final Solution, and I get all the sadder. Definitely a book worth reading, but I do wish it had a happier ending.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Bunn I've also visited the house she hid in. When you see how little space these people actually lived in, you can definitely see why they squabbled and picked. Add the stress of potential discovery, and I'm surprised they didn't go further off the deep end than they did. It makes Anne's spirit and positive outlook all the more amazing.