Suzanne's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from January 12 to April 02, 2012

What a deft piece of storytelling. I'd seen the HBO series, so there were no plot surprises for me, but I loved the way that GRRM wove the stories together from the various points of view. I was also impressed with how he fed us small bits of backstory, so I was just as intrigued by the characters' pasts as I was their present situations.

I think what surprised me most, however, is how much I enjoyed GRRM's prose. Some had warned me that it was overly descriptive, but it was right on target for me, for the most part. The Eyrie, The Wall, and north of The Wall... *shiver* I loved all the setting details. The parts that I didn't care as much about (like the details of the armor) still gave the world depth, and I imagine diehard fans of epic fantasy eat that stuff up.

I'd heard the sex was gratuitous, but it didn't come off nearly as overdone (not to mention juvenile) as it did in the HBO series, so maybe I was primed for that not to be a big deal. I admit that Dany being so young was a bit squicky at first, but I suppose kids in Westeros have to grow up fast. Winter is coming.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

01/16/2012 page 68
show 11 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katharine Noooooo! Run away! Run away! ;)

Suzanne :D

I just might, for the time being. I was on the verge of reading it, but I had somehow mistakenly thought that the upcoming book was the last of the series. My husband tells me this is far from the case. It still might jump off the shelf at me when I'm looking for my next read, however. We'll see.

Katharine So, what did you think?

Suzanne I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! I'm still sorting out what to say in the review, but hopefully I'll have that up soon.

Katharine Glad you enjoyed it. My husband and I must be mutants, as everyone else seems to like the book. I feel HBO has improved upon the work, so I'm watching the show for now.

Suzanne I know a handful of people that picked up this book only to quickly abandon it, so you and your husband certainly aren't alone! I'm glad the HBO series has been so good though, and that you guys are enjoying that. I was impressed with how well the tv writers were able to get so much plot packed in there. I loved the casting, too, but hope Cersei's wigs will improve in season two... ;)

Just for kicks, I'm going to read the second book before we watch the second season. It's not a perfect experiment because obviously it's different material, but I'm curious. I always like epic fantasy in theory, but rarely manage to slog through the books.

Katharine High-fives and an amen about the wigs on the show, my literate sister. :)