Ryan's Reviews > The Gunslinger

M_50x66
Mar 12, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended for: dorks everywhere

So here's the thing: I've never thought Stephen King was that great of a writer. Maybe that's a snobby thing to say, but it's nevertheless true (besides, I'm pretty arrogant when I want to be). Since it's the first in the series written close to 20 years ago, I can sorta forgive the fact that it's not particularly well written. It's breezy, it's easy, but there's nothing interesting or challenging in the language, sentence structure, character insights, etc.

That said, I am SO hooked on the journey of Roland, the gunslinger, and can't wait to paw into Book 2 of the Dark Tower Series. This thing is like narrative crack. Perhaps it's my deep love for spaghetti westerns. Perhaps it's because I love a good quest. Perhaps it's because it's set in a world that feels both familiar yet totally foreign, even more so than Tolkien's Middle Earth (which always felt far more familiar to me than foreign, which is a testament to his storytelling abilities). Honestly, I don't care, because, much like "Lost", I fear that if I think about it too much, if I actually sit down and try to figure out how the magician saws the woman in half, it won't be as much fun watching him do it again. So yeah, I'm turning my brain off and enjoying the ride for as long as I can. Which, truthfully, is nice to do without the use of television every once in a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gunslinger.