Dana's Reviews > Dark and Stormy Knights

Dark and Stormy Knights by P.N. Elrod

Jun 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: cover-grey-black, demons, fae, fantasy-urban, fantasy-paranormal, ghosts-spirits, magic, urban-warriors, vampire, weapons-and-metal, witch-wizard-mage-sorcerer, anthology
Recommended for: anthology lovers only
Read from July 08 to 11, 2011 , read count: 1

★ ★ ½

This probably deserved more credit than I am willing to give, but I just can't get into anthologies. Writing a short story is a true talent and those writers who are capable of creating large and diverse UF/paranormal worlds and then converting them into an entire series of stories are rarely the same people who are also gifted with short story genius.

With that said, some of these stories were very pleasant to to the point of being a quality piece of work. Most rated in the meh to fine range for me but other people would undoubtedly enjoy them more. I have the overwhelming desire to rank Jim Butcher's work as one of the best in the book, but I realize I would be giving that endorsement based more on my preferences for his work overall, than on actual strength of this specific work. His was one of the better ones, but his wife, Shannon Butcher, as well as P.N. Elrod and Rachel Caine put out better examples in this collection.

If you enjoy enthologies, you will most likely find that this is a wonderful set of 'samples' for these authors. If not and you are like me, you will at least get a taste for some other authors and it will help you sort out your myriad TBR choices.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark and Stormy Knights.