Brenda's Reviews > Past the Shallows

Past the Shallows by Favel Parrett

Jan 02, 12

Read from January 01 to 02, 2012

This debut novel by Favel Parrett has a lot of high recommendations attached to it, and it’s one I’ve wanted to read for awhile. I am so glad I did, it was a wonderful story, very sad, very confronting, but definitely worth reading.

Harry, Miles and Joe are 3 children who lost their mother to a dreadful car accident a few years earlier, and the two younger boys have since lived with their moody and unpredictable father on the remote south coast of Tasmania. Joe moved out at 13 after a bitter and violent argument with his father, and went to live with his Grandad. Miles did his best to look after Harry, and shield him from their father’s warped bitterness, but he couldn’t be there all the time.

When one of the hands on the boat used for abalone fishing is badly injured, Miles has to take his place, and Harry stays home alone a lot of the time. He wanders through the day, hunting for treasures, and when he finds Jake, an adorable little kelpie pup, he has a playmate at last. Jake is owned by George, and Harry befriends the two of them, and knows some of the happiest days of his life while in their company.

One day, though, things go terribly wrong, there is a dreadful accident and nothing is the same again. ‘Past the Shallows’ is a hauntingly beautiful story about the bond of brotherhood and the fragility of youth.

I would recommend this new Australian author to everyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Past the Shallows.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helene (new)

Helene Young Brenda, I'm saving this book for February (so I can double dip and use the F from Favel to add it to another Australian writers challenge). I'm looking forward to reading it, but I've been warned I will need boxes of tissues so it won't be one I read in public!!

Brenda It's a wonderful story Helene, very heartwarming, and terribly sad! But you'll enjoy it I'm sure:)

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie I considered reading this one for the 2012 Aussie readers challenge but chose other books instead. I'll add it to my TBR list though.

message 4: by Shelleyrae (new) - added it

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out I am definatly planning on reading this one soon

Brenda A true gem, this one!

message 6: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Murphy I enjoyed this book too Brenda

Brenda Definitely worth reading Jayne, wasn't it!

Elizabeth Lhuede Brenda, I only just finished reading this book - that's why I waited till now to read your review. Past the Shallows has consistently ranked on Aussie bookseller's best seller lists and is shortlisted for the Indie Bookshops Best Debut novel award. It's not hard to see why.

I read a library copy which had to be returned because there was a waiting list - otherwise I'd be tempted to quote the opening lines. So evocative! Such a sense of place, too, as well as heart-felt emotion.

What really struck me was Parrett's mastery in getting inside the skin of a boy-child and youth, and her portrayal of their loyalty. I'm not surprised you loved it and gave it 5 stars.

Thanks for your review, and your participation in the challenge!

Brenda You're welcome Elizabeth! It certainly is a book that leaves you thinking about it for a long time after you finish it!

Elizabeth Lhuede Did you hear the news? It's been longlisted for the Miles Franklin. Past the Shallows by Favel Parrett

Brenda That is fantastic new Elizabeth! Thanks...no I hadn't heard!

Dhitri Added to my TBR list... Thank you for the great review!

Brenda Dhitri wrote: "Added to my TBR list... Thank you for the great review!"

You're welcome Dhitri...it's sooo worth reading!